Target Start Date: November 2017
Reports To: Director of Engineering | Model Development Group
Location: San Francisco, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for driven and curious Data Scientists to join our Model Development Group, the team responsible for creating and implementing the energy modeling content in our technology platform.
We’re looking for people to both innovate and expand our technology and energy service by creating models that enables our internal Engineering users to analyze and quantify energy opportunities. This role encompasses building scalable machine learning models and solving difficult data science problems to improve the accuracy, speed, and scope of our technology. Data Scientists in the Model Development Group directly influence our operations, focusing on improvements like: identifying and specifying data requirements, implementing methods that automate detecting patterns and events, and determining relevant variables and their values for modeling and forecasting purposes. The Data Scientists work closely with both our Software Developers as well as users in the Energy Modeling Group to define modeling needs and deliver a better solution.
The ideal candidate has professional or graduate school experience in statistics, computer science, engineering, or equivalent positions, which required using deep expertise with statistical data analysis and machine learning such as linear models, predictive models, classification models, and sampling methods. This person genuinely enjoys working on collaborative teams, and wants to be involved in large-scale challenges that require long-term persistence. While the role involves significant computational modeling work, this candidate also loves connecting models to the real world.
The role will be based out of San Francisco and may require occasional travel to our NYC office or some client sites.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Develop machine learning content in CLUES (our proprietary application) to quantify the energy, environmental, and financial opportunity in various building energy systems. Leverage deep statistics knowledge to measure the quality of a model and understand the risks associated with errors and uncertainties. Apply methodologies both to static and real time data sets.
- Identify data requirements that balance accuracy with timeline limitations.
- Develop new methodologies and better data sets that increase savings, improve accuracy, reduce timelines, and save user ‘brainspace’.
- Solve statistics problems that require understanding and using a variety of data science and engineering principles, and implement the solution in a computational environment.
- Work closely with Software Developers to implement fault detection, forecasting, and machine learning models within the CLUES software platform.
- Work closely with our Energy Modeling Group users to identify opportunities to improve scope, algorithms, or interface. Be able to analyze complex energy data with users to determine the quantitative and statistical relationships of complex building systems. Support users during model execution and troubleshooting, and be able to incorporate feedback into model development.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission.
- BS in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics (or similar technical field).
- Proven track record of implementing data science techniques within a programming language (Python, R, etc.), or similar work.
- 3+ years work experience and/or equivalent graduate work.
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams.
- Demonstrated experience solving complex and open-ended engineering challenges:
- Able to determine an objective, or multi-dimensional objectives.
- Able to determine data, knowledge, or methodology gaps.
- Able to represent reality in a computational environment.
- Able to create a solution, fail, and iterate.
- Can make judgments of risks and assumptions.
- Can make logical conclusions, with an understanding of relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Able to clearly communicate conclusions.
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in technical and related field.
- Conversant with data science libraries within Python.
- Advanced understanding of statistics.
- Exposure to HVAC system and modeling.
- Experience with optimization methods in computational modeling.
- Technical sales of any kind.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form at carbonlighthouse.com/about-us/careers and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we look forward to hearing from you.