Target Start Date: January 2018
Reports To: Director of Engineering | Implementation Group
Location: San Francisco, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for driven and smart Project Managers to join our Implementation Team, the group responsible for developing and implementing our clean energy service in buildings.
We’re looking for people to both innovate and expand our technology and energy service, and help us grow our national presence. Project Managers will directly influence how we operate, focusing on improvements like: finding ways to minimize field time, expanding our network of contractors, improving feasibility checks on solutions, streamlining contractor management, and applying new methodologies to maximize energy savings potential. The initial career path will be focused on delivering financially attractive environmental savings to clients, with many growth opportunities for specialization as our company expands.
The ideal candidate has professional experience in engineering (or technically equivalent) positions, and is excited by complex, open-ended, and real world engineering challenges. This person genuinely enjoys working on collaborative teams, and wants to be involved in large scale challenges that require long term persistence. While there is a lot of real world feasibility and field implementation work, this candidate also loves understanding the thermodynamics theory and energy modeling behind the solutions.
The role will be based out of San Francisco, and requires traveling locally and nationally on a regular basis.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Frequent site travel to mechanical and industrial spaces to assess feasibility of solutions and manage contractors
- Participate in field-based sensor deployment, functional testing, equipment measurements, and other data collection needs
- Manage simultaneous complex tasks and projects, across multiple client sites.
- Work with Engineers and Executive Account Managers in developing proposals and implementing solutions
- Develop contractor RFPs, bidding specifications, and commissioning guidelines
- Manage contractor qualification, bidding, and selection
- Manage installation, commissioning, and verification of solutions, keeping stakeholders apprised of scope, budget, and schedule status
- Apply engineering and real world judgment to assess risks and uncertainties, and to manage changes in schedule, scope, and budget
- Cultivate effective relationships with financial & technical clients, and 3rd party vendors
- Develop new implementation processes and tools that reduce time, improve contractor relationships, or increase energy savings in delivered solutions
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission
- BS in Engineering (CE, ME, EE, PE, ChE) or similar technical field
- 3+ years work experience
- Proven track record of executing engineering projects, managing construction, or similar work
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams
- Excellent organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
- Demonstrable experience solving complex and open-ended engineering challenges:
- Able to determine an objective, or multi-dimensional objectives
- Able to adapt solutions to changing field conditions and constraints
- Able to create a solution, fail, and iterate
- Exercise initiative and make sound decisions with imperfect information
- Make logical conclusions, with an understanding of relative strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to travel to local and national sites (~5-15 days per month)
- Ability to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
- Ability to lift 30 pounds, and carry 20 pounds up a ladder
- HVAC systems and/or Controls software/hardware background
- Project Management background
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Licensed PE in relevant field
- PMP certification
- Technical sales of any kind
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical & Dental & Vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form at carbonlighthouse.com/careers and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we look forward to hearing from you.