Scoping and implementing a clean energy project at a single site is complex enough, and doing so across dozens of aging sites is even tougher. We identified significant Efficiency Reserves across 27 schools after analyzing the portfolio. Our analysis led us to determine that the most financially and environmentally impactful actions would be a mix of rooftop solar and efficiency measures such as upgraded thermostats, monitoring centralization, lighting and HVAC. We worked on school sites across California, from Oakland to Sacramento and Los Angeles. And we did so while navigating the complexities of regulatory guidelines necessitated by the funds Aspire had secured.
Some of the clean energy and efficiency measures include:
- Installing 1.22 Megawatts (MW) of solar on a variety of roofs operating in different climates.
- Established solar monitoring system to ensure performance.
- Integrating both digital and wireless thermostats across dozens of facilities so Aspire’s home office can centralize insight into distributed equipment.
- Alleviating safety concerns through the replacement of an outdated boiler at one site.
- Discovering that one school did not have a gas supply to the remote terminal unit (RTU), which we rectified through the replacement of RTUs and thermostats.
- Immediately cash-accretive, guaranteeing $600,000 in annual savings.
- Reduced Aspire’s greenhouse gas emissions by around 1,000 tons annually, the equivalent of avoiding the burning of 2,315 barrels of oil.
- Promoted environmental education during a lunchtime assembly at select schools.
- Improved student, teacher and administrator comfort.
- 5-year contract.
Savings by the Bell
Implementing clean energy projects with complex requirements across dozens of sites is challenging enough — and guaranteeing that the energy savings persist long-term can be even more so. We’re able to guarantee building energy performance through our data-driven Efficiency Production process.
“We found an amazing partner in Carbon Lighthouse for lessening our organization’s impact on the environment and reducing our utility bills. Carbon Lighthouse has been extremely professional in providing complete and seamless project management for projects involving lighting retrofits, HVAC system & controls replacement and up-gradation, and solar array installations.” – Rajesh Varma, Facilities Project Manager at Aspire Public Schools.
Our results assurance team will continue to deliver the energy savings performance of these several sites to make sure that Aspire is receiving the financial and environmental benefits we predicted. If the savings fall short, we take corrective action by either cutting a check or fixing the problem free of charge. As is our standard, there is no cost to Aspire for these ongoing services.
We are proud to partner with an organization dedicated to improving the lives of students and to be providing such strong financial value to these schools — for which each operational penny saved means more value for Aspire’s scholars and families served.