With 6000 Shoreline full of life science labs, it was critical that we implement the efficiency measures without disrupting the tenants’ important work. Fortunately, Carbon Lighthouse only operates in the building engineering areas — often the tenants do not even know we are there.
Below are some of the key efficiency measures we implemented:
- Upgraded internal and external lighting with high-efficiency LED lamps.
- Implemented programming logic to enable dynamic optimized start sequence of air handling units (AHUs).
- Implemented duct static pressure reset (DSP) strategy to more effectively control AHU fan speed and reduce energy consumption.
- Immediately cash-accretive.
- Strong financial return on investment of 23%, as tracked through our data analytics.
- Annual carbon elimination of 103 metric tons of carbon, the same as sparing the use of 238 barrels of oil.
- Improved NOI.
Value at exit
A year after Carbon Lighthouse completed implementation, Carlyle sold 6000 Shoreline for a healthy profit.
Carlyle featured 6000 Shoreline in its 2018 sustainability report, and noted:
“Not only do solutions like these improve cost efficiency, but the physical upgrades also signal to tenants and prospective tenants that our property and property systems are best in class,” according to Dave Kingery, Managing Director, Carlyle U.S. Real Estate.